Pros and Cons of Water Pipes over Hand Pipes
The filtering effect water pipes have on tobacco and other legal substances make them somewhat healthier. Here are just a few advantageous facts about smoking with a water pipe:
- Newcomer friendly: A water pipe is a somewhat easier way for newcomers to try smoking. The bubbles the pipe produces during inhalation make the smoke smoother on the throat than the average cigarette or cigar. Shallower breaths for much shorter time periods can help a newcomer ease into the experience of smoking for the first time.
- Smoother smoke: The main reason why many smokers might opt for a water pipe is purely because they won’t irritate the smoker’s throat like cigarettes, roll up tobacco or cigars can. Warm water kills off any bacteria in the smoke, offering a cleaner inhalation while cool water will subsequently cool it. This can reduce exposure to common smoking-related conditions such as bronchitis when used in moderation.
- Using a glass water pipe: Unlike a homemade plastic or aluminum one, a glass water pipe can help reduce the additional chemicals water pipes are often criticized for exposing consumers to.
- Always clean your water pipe after use: Re-using dirty water or cleaning solution certainly isn’t healthy. In fact, neglecting to clean your water pipe actually cancels out its filtering effect, so make sure that you clean your pipe thoroughly and regularly. For information on how to clean your water pipe, check out this read on some of the many ways to clean your glass.
- Suitable for casual use: Water pipes actually filter out a number of carcinogens per inhalation, lowering the smoker’s chance of vulnerability to illnesses such as lung cancer. However, it does also drive the smoke deeper and faster into the lungs. Like all legal highs, such as alcohol, you should always use tobacco and your water pipe in moderation to avoid canceling out these health benefits with overuse.
Remember, when using a water pipe there are two things above all that should be considered: using a pipe is a personal preference and one that, if regulated and properly used, has health benefits as compared to other methods for smoking. Water pipes are a cheaper, more aesthetically friendly and an accessible alternative for smoking.
As a smoker, you invariably run the risk of negative health effects – take responsibility for your usage and, with the proper care and maintenance of your pipe, why not make it a safer alternative?